Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Social Security rumors

So, it looks like there's a new meme on Facebook.  I've seen two of my friends posting this now, and I quote: "Dear Mr. President, I heard you say you will not guarantee SS checks if the debt ceiling isn't raised. Why is it the scare always has to do with SS, Medicare, & our Soldiers pay? Why not stop YOUR OWN PAY or ALL of CONGRESS to save much more money for our country? Why use the Seniors, Soldiers, & our Needy as examples? Take the money from those who take no risks and reap the benefits?"
*sigh*  
Of course you've heard the President won't guarantee Social Security checks if the debt ceiling isn't raised.  I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just saying I see no evidence of it happening now.  These are the same rumors that always go around whenever there are problems coming to a budget agreement, regardless of what party is in power, and they usually turn out to be false.  Let's keep in mind who it is that wants to gut SS and medicare and other social programs, and all because they refuse to even entertain the idea of tax raises on the people who can afford it.  Do program cuts need to be made?  I'm sure they probably do.  But you have two solutions here, you can raise taxes some and cut programs some, rather than all or nothing.  And don't talk to me about trickle down economics; that doesn't work.  It was a Republican who called that "voodoo economics," after all. 
And while we're at it, let's talk about the idiotic balanced budget amendment Republicans have talked about adding to the US Constitution.  Really?  With all the problems out there, this is what you want to focus your energy on?  Do none of you remember that Clinton had a balanced budget that left us with a surplus and would have paid off the debt in a reasonable amount of time?  What happened to that?
Now, I'm not saying President Obama is doing a flawless job.  He isn't and, what's more, I don't think there's anyone who can.  But he's trying his best with a Republican party that has one goal in mind; get him kicked out of office.  The economy is their biggest weapon and, as such, they have little interest in doing anything about it.  Don't get me wrong, I get as pissed with the Democrats when they refuse to work with Republicans.  But please, please, think twice before cluttering my news feed with pointless, stupid crap that's just rehash of the same old rumors.

1 comment:

  1. I copy/pasted this as a note on my facebook, thanks for understanding politics instead of just repeating what you heard from Anne Coulter or you favorite announcer over at Faux news

    ReplyDelete